Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Madison on a bicycle built for two 5/11-13

This was on my bucket list.  Mission accomplished.
What's new?  This week, (7th city, FYI) I went to Madison, WI: the capitol and largest city Wisconsin has to offer.  The twist is I'm not alone: the missus has come along.  I wanted her to come along in Lafayette, but the chains of occupation brought her down.  The Couchsurfing hosts we had were a blast: both doctors; delivering babies at midnight, hubbie played the banjo too, and they showed me how to finish off the Rubik's Cube I've been working on for 3 months.  They also had a tandem bike, unicycle (which I can ride), two turtles, and my lady and I had our own guest room.  Could you really ask for more?


View of Capitol Hill, tailored after DC.


Paul's Bar.  Yes that's a tree.


Beer-Battered Cheese Curds.  If this doesn't say Wisconsin...


Anyway about Madison.  Cute, very cute.  Go there and you'll know what I mean.  Again a college-oriented city (University of Madison-Wisconsin) and the city is very much aimed toward that demographic: bars, sports, shops, art, etc.  Madison is a bit of a rarity because the city is located on an isthmus, which means it is situated between two large lakes.  You are never too far from nature here; you can be in rush hour traffic, say screw it, and take your canoe instead.  What to do and see:  The Capitol (poor man's Washington, DC) take a tour and learn how politics "work".  Modest yet impressive art museums the Chazen and MoMA, and the historical museum of Madison (featured exhibit Odd Wisconsin, very cool).  And you know what's best about all these?   THEY ARE FREE!

The stand-up scene.  The club here is called the Comedy Club on State.  (By the way, what's nice about State Street is that no commercial vehicles are allowed.)  It's a great room and luckily my girlfriend and I both got to perform, and no, we did not do a duo act (though, in retrospect, it might have worked well.)  I got 4 minutes and I gotta say, this might have been the best crowd yet.  Thanks Madison for believing in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment