Sunday, April 10, 2011

Up to Date in Kansas City 4/5-7

Alright!


Made in to Kansas City after a grueling 10 and a half hour bus ride.  I brought vodka in a flask and sleeping pills, needless to say, I didn't wake up until I saw Kansas.  However, still, it's only been $1 each way.  I couchsurfed with a couple of great guys who had a house, yes, a house, minutes away from the Kansas/Missouri border.  For those of you who don't know, no, it's not two different cities: Kansas City is very spread out; half in Missouri, half in Kansas. 
Some highlights: Oklahoma Joe's.  Kansas City is known for it's BBQ, and this is the best BBQ in the world.  Don't take my word, take Anthony Bourdain's.  13 Places to Eat Before You Die .  Also, if you're into lists, check out Flying Saucer, 125 Places to Have a Beer Before You Die.  Last fun fact, Kansas City has more fountains than any other city in the world, with the exception of Rome. 

Since I'm Catholic, this also was a must (free entrance to Nelson-Atkins Musuem)


What you're looking at is the pointer finger of John the Baptist: who was Jesus' cousin.

Lastly, I did of course perform comedy.  Kansas City is not really a great town for comedy: you have two clubs, the constant chain Improv, and Stanford and Sons: the longest running family run comedy club in American history,(with exception of the Shore's out in LA).  Here's a quick highlight.





Well, that just about wraps it up.  If you're just joining me, I work a steady 40 hour job, plus I do voiceover work (which I can do on the road).  This is trip 2 of my epic Midwest on $25 tour.  I am travelling to Midwest cities once a week and not spending more than $1 on each bus ride.  I also am couchsurfing, which means I do not pay for accomodation.  Where does my money go?  Believe me I'm not having bread and water for dinner.  All the money I would be spending on board and travel is used for beer

No comments:

Post a Comment